Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ashford Part II


This is the second part of my story on how Ashford destroys the hope, health and future of students that need to attend college online to obtain their degree.

Once I discovered the monetary issue I decided to research as stated before. Upon MY research (again the staff refused to tell me anything or would claim they didn't know) I discovered that Ashford was sending back my Pell Grants. Half of the grant in question was received in October 2009 and the other half received in March 2010. Yet they did not charge me for the amount until November 2010. Now once I discovered what they did and finally got someone to admit it, I was told that it was the half from 2009. So it took a year for them to decide to charge me? And AFTER I completed the degree requirements and graduated?
A bit fishy if you ask me. Now you may be asking why they were sending back the grants, was I ineligible, etc? The answer is simple and it had nothing to do with me being ineligible because I was eligible. Ashford does that so they can line their pockets. Plus on a couple of occasions I was told that Ashford does NOT get paid on grants but they DO get paid on loans. The whole loan origination fee and all.

I kept notes of everyone I talked to every time. I filed grievance and the appeal. Of course that did not do any good. Several times I have talked to people who state that they ALWAYS use the FULL amount of the grants/scholarships before loans are used. Obviously this is not true. I record the phone calls from start to finish just so I have the call recorded as well. I was also told many times that it was a simple error on their part and would be corrected. Isn't it nice when stories change?

When I asked to speak with the dean I was told there isn't one. But, aha! there is, though the dean has changed since I last attended. I was also told there was not a president of the school, again there is. So many lies are told to current and past students and prospective students. Such as (I just got off the phone as a "prospective student" inquiring about financial aid) this: Advisor: "there is no reason for the Pell Grant to be sent back, other than the student is not compliant with their classes. As long as the student attends and completes class the Pell will be used first and completely." The advisor assured me that the grant will be used unless sent back by the student or the student fails to complete at least four classes. Four classes because that is what the grant will pay for, you pay for them upfront. Failing or having to retake one class (I wanted everything to be clear) will not affect the grant, per the advisors words. And to be clear, NO I did not fail any classes!

Sadly no one that I spoke with when this started works there any longer. I would love for employees and ex-employees to contact me. You may remain anonymous if you wish. I have saved every email from Ashford, including the ones for "job placement" and "upcoming fairs", etc. I have asked to be removed several times from their mailing list, but I have not.

Like many other students I am unable to obtain a job utilizing my degree as I do not have it to show and employers simply do not want to hire someone that says one thing but cannot prove it. I attended college to further my education so that I could get a job that would support my family. Due to the fact that I cannot I have wasted time, energy, and money (student loan, ink, paper, etc). My health has suffered and now I must begin paying back student loans. If I wanted to lose out on all the money that I have incurred I would have donated it to a worthy cause, not to the pockets of the owner of Bridgepoint Education.

You may be asking what I am after at this point. I am simply out to make this company do what is right. Correct their wrongs. If you are looking into attending them or if you successfully received your diploma, good luck when trying to transfer credits to another college/university as it is very difficult to do so.
I'm sure there will be a part III to this but I have run out of time today and still have more research to do, phone calls to make, but my responsibilities as a mom come first and foremost. So I will end this post here to go play with and teach math to my daughter. Once again if you have, had or know of someone that has or is having problems with Ashford please contact me.

And when life gives you lemons ... use them and plant the seeds!

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever get it resolved? I am currently dealing with similar issues from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashford University is a major scam, these people are thieves and I plan to do something about it!!!!!!!! I am a current student experiencing the same issues. I am planning on filing a class action lawsuit against Ashford University under the pretense of Financial Aid Fraud please contact me at missevilgenius101@gmail.com f you are interested in taking them down. And visit... https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?mds=%2Fprofile%2Fcover%2Fchoose_photo%2F%3FredirectURI%3D%252Fprofile.php&mdf=1

    ReplyDelete